We have some very exciting news regarding the of old Yelloway Motor Services Ltd. When on Saturday 24th November 2018 at 11.30am the rescued memorial stone will be unveiled at One Riverside, Rochdale, OL16 1XU.
The stone was rescued in the 1980s during demolition of the Travel Centre (photos below) by John Whitworth, a former Yelloway driver.
With the help and agreement of Touchstones for preservation, it was stored by Stephen Buckley, The Yelloway Project joint owner of the Yelloway preserved AEC Reliance coach CDK 172L. Recently, John, Steve and Paul Blackburn, owner of the Yelloway Mobile Coach Museum had it cleaned and restored.
Rochdale Council then kindly agreed to mount the stone on a plinth and display it at One Riverside, close to its original location.
View of the Memorial Stone placed in the wall of the then new Travel Centre by Hubert Allen in memory of his father Herbert Allen founder of Yelloway Motor Services back in 1932.
Civic Award for the new Travel Centre in the refurbished Mill building as the travel business boomed in the 1970s
Father and son who were “Yelloway” for over 50 years between 1932 and 1985, when Hubert retired.
View of the 1970s Travel Centre, Rochdale
The Weir Street site. Yelloway originally moved here in 1927.
Yelloway Motor Services Ltd booking office, (centre / at rear of bus) as it was in the 1960s before the new Travel Centre was established in the old mill. Rochdale Corporation bus awaiting departure on 24 route to Manchester.